Sons were born to Shem, Ham, and Japheth after the flood.
· The sons of Japheth: Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras.
o The sons of Gomer: Ashkenaz, Riphath, and Togarmah.
o The sons of Javan: Elishah, Tarshish, and the Kittim and Dodanim.
· This is how the isles of the Gentiles were divided in their lands, each after his language, family, and nation
· The sons of Ham:
o The sons of
§ The sons of Raamah:
o Mizraim fathered the Ludim, Anamim, Lehabim, Naphtuhim, Pathrusim, Casluhim, (out of whom came the Philistines,) and the Caphtorim.
· These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their languages, in their countries, and in their nations.
· To Shem - the father of all the children of Eber, and brother of Japheth the elder - children were also born. The children of Shem are
o The children of
o Arphaxad fathered Salah, Salah fathered Eber.
§ To Eber were born two sons. The name of one was Peleg (“Division” – El B) for in his days the earth was divided. His brother’s name was Joktan.
· Joktan fathered Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah, Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, Obal,
· These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their languages, in their lands, after their nations.
These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations, and in this way the nations were divided in the earth after the flood.
[end genealogy with the statement that the families were divided. Now begins the narration that explains the statement – El B]
The whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. And as they journeyed from the east they found a plain in the
They said one to another, “Get up, let us make brick and burn them thoroughly,” (they had brick in place of stone and used mud for mortar). Then they said, “Get up, let us build a city, with a tower whose top will reach the heavens. Let us make a name for ourselves so we are not scattered over the whole earth.”
The LORD came down to see the city and the tower the children of men had built. And the LORD said, “Look, this people is united and have one language, yet this is what they do. Now nothing will they have thought to do can be kept from them. Let us go down and confuse their language so they may not understand one another’s speech.”
So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the whole earth: and they quit building the city. This is why the name of the city is
This has been the family history of Shem.